Tuesday, April 15, 2008

How Long Can I File a Tax Extension?

Okay, I guess no one really needs a reminder that your tax returns are due in today.

If you've already mailed in your tax return, congratulations! If not, you'd better hurry. They are due today.

What about an extension?

You can get an automatic six-month tax extension by filing Form 4868, Application for Automatic Extension of Time to File U.S. Individual Income Tax Return. But, you do have to file it on April 15, today. But, remember, filing an extension of time to file is NOT an extension of time to pay. You do have to pay the amount of the tax estimated to be due for the tax year. Interest will be charged on your unpaid taxes.

You can get the form by going to: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4868.pdf

No comments: